Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Culinary Medicine

I have been very interested in the link between the foods we eat and the way our bodies fight disease. I came across a book recently that speaks directly to this point. I know that I could do better when it comes to feeding my children a balanced diet. However, with the rise in food costs I find that I have to compromise on some things. I would love to feed my children organic foods all the time - it's just not possible. I think that our next President should take a hard look at how the environmental issues, with respect to food production, are directly impacting our increase in Health care costs. It is no wonder that diabetes and cancer rates are up. How on earth can a family that is making $40,000 annually afford to put gas in their cars and buy fresh fruits and vegetable for their children? Then add that this family has to pay for their own health insurance and you find a family making some hard decisions about what to put on the dinner table at night.

No comments: