**This post is not intended to show any political affiliation. I am an American.
Rep. Gabrielle Giffords
My initial focus after hearing the news about the shootings in Tucson was for the little girl that was killed. My heart broke for her parents. How can one man take the life of an innocent child? What would make him that angry to do that? Slowly I have begun to think about the others that were killed and about Rep. Giffords more specifically. I am completely unaware of her causes and I didn't know who she was until the shooting. What strikes me today is that she is alive and that, no matter what her party affiliation, she didn't deserve this. I know that we all celebrate our right to Free Speech and the Bear Arms. However, I am 100% certain that our Founding Fathers never intended the two to create such hatred in our country today. I believe in Free Speech but not at the expense of others. I believe in the right to Bear Arms but only in the defense of my family and my country.
I find it sick that the media has found ways to capitalize on hate and on dissent. I don't think that Freedom of Information is really that great. I like to know things but when did our society become so engrossed with information, only to use it to further entitlement, anger, discourse and laziness? I read that the gunman was reading conspiracy theory rhetoric and very interested in anti-government groups. We all have the right to write our thoughts and we all have the right to read. I just think it has all gone too far. Just the facts please. No more sensationalism.
It is time to take responsibility for ourselves and our families as contributing beings in this world. People don't see themselves and their actions as having an effect on others. It is time to work harder at doing it right rather than pretending it isn't our responsibility to do anything at all.
"The world is too dangerous for anything but truth and too small for anything but love." William Sloane Coffin

No comments:
Post a Comment