Tuesday, January 18, 2011

H.O.P.E.

                Hudson & Garrett - 2 weeks old                                           Nolan - 2 days old

A few months ago, I learned about a support group for NICU parents at the hospital where the boys were born.  I signed up to be a NICU grad attendee and cried, pretty much, the entire way through the meeting.  Not surprisingly, the topic was Stress Reduction.  I offered to come back and speak to the group but wasn't sure that my emotional - ness was what they were looking for.  But, as it turns out, they want me to come back and give a talk on Disappointments and Delays.  Yah, not gonna cry with that one.  So, as I begin to prepare for the talk, I keep asking myself "what is the most valuable piece of information that i can share."  I like to put that kind of pressure on myself daily.  It makes the sane wife Mark has always dreamed of :) 

We certainly had our share of disappointments and delays during our stays in the NICU.  Getting there in first place was a disappointment.  Sometimes just maintaining the same level for more than two days seemed like a disappointment or delay. 

I am honored to get to participate in this group.  I wish it existed when our kids were in the NICU.   I don't know parents do it with babies born at 26 or 24 weeks.  What doesn' kill us makes us stronger. 

If you are a parent with a child that spent time in the NICU, what were your greatest disappointments or delays?

**Housekeeping note: please feel free to leave comments on the blog.  It is so fun to read them.

2 comments:

The Weatherwaxes said...

Hm, this is an excellent question. After giving birth to a 40-week 9 lb, 3 oz girl, I never thought I'd have a NICU baby. But after our 31- week stillbirth, we had to deliver Ryan early at 36 weeks (low fluid). We knew there would be a risk of immature lungs, but better that than another stillborn. But I never knew how torturous it would be to leave the hospital without my baby boy. He was in the NICU for only 2 weeks, but each day seemed endless. I felt such guilt leaving him alone, and whenever he had a setback, I'd get that much more impatient to have him at home with US, his family!! Needless to say, Ryan is a beast; a thriving, giant boy (much like your 3!), and we are so so thankful for our NICU staff...and to God, who gave us our beautiful son.

Ariel said...

Tara,
Thank you for this comment. The meeting was amazing and I think that it was as much a support for Mark and myself and is was for the families with babies in the NICU.
Isn't it amazing how boys blister through their days!!!