Thursday, October 7, 2010

mama wolves

Garrett's anxiety was seemingly worsening so on Monday evening I sat him down and decided that we needed to get to the bottom of things.  Hudson was with us so that he could help fill in any gaps about what actually goes on at school.  I didn't think that I was getting the answers that I needed in order to know how to handle the situation.  I sometimes have to ask the same question 6 million different ways to get the whole answer.  After much digging, Garrett confessed that  a little boy at school was being mean to him.  After a bit more digging, he let on that this little boy was just really being mean and using "potty words" while they were playing together.  Hudson confirmed everything and our conversation ended something like this:

Garrett: Mama, I just don't like school because of ___.

Me: Garrett, I promise that we will talk to the school and take care of this.  I won't let anyone hurt you.

Hudson: Yea, just like mama wolves.

Me:  Hudson, what do you mean.

Hudson: If you are mean to baby wolves, their mama will bite you.

Me:  Yep, just like a mama wolf. 

Garrett: Okay (as he wiped the tears off his face - so sad)

There was nothing else to say.  Garrett's entire demeanor changed.  I was chuckling under my breath at the whole "mama wolf" thing but it seemed to be just what he needed.  I talked to him about playing soccer that evening and he asked if I would be right there.  I assured him that, just like every practice thus far, I would be right there.  He played.  The entire time.  I made sure to stand where he could see me and he was just fine. 
Yesterday, he cried a bit when Nana dropped them off at school but he came home a happy little boy.  Hudson said that he didn't cry once.  We talked again about never having to worry about anyone bothering him and that I would always protect him. 

Mama wolves made it all better.


**We spoke with the school and the issue was addressed with their class as a whole.  So grateful to be apart of a small Christian preschool.

***Funny side story: When I was in the 6th grade, I won an essay writing contest on "my favorite animal".  That animal was the wolf.  I don't think that I knew the prize going in to the contest but it ended up being a parakeet from a local pet shop.  Cage, food, the works.  Looking back, I don't remember the wolf being in my scope of animals at that time. 
I loved that parakeet, though.  I wanted to be able to hold it more often so we got its wings clipped.  Apparently, they didn't do a good enough job because he flew into our front door and broke his neck.  My dad and I buried him in the back yard. We didn't get another bird. 
Wolves... who knew.

No comments: