Tuesday, August 17, 2010

all powerful mama

Last night, as I was getting the kids ready for a bath, I pulled back the shower curtain and there, in the tub, was a brand new baby lizard.  So new that we could see through its skin and see its bones and eye sockets.  It was a bit gross, but I'm learning to embrace the things that my little boys find utterly fascinating.  Since Garrett is our resident "catcher", he quickly volunteered to get the little guy out of the tub and set him free outside.  The conversation that followed is one that has me patting myself on the back for taking the time to express the power of mamas (all sorts of them).

me: (as Garrett is trying to climb into the tub) STOP!!!!!  Let's get a cup and scoop him up.

Garrett: No, I can just get him with my hands.

me: STOP!!!  You're going to hurt him.

Nolan:  LIZARD!!!

 - little lizard is running furiously around the tub trying to get away from Garrett.

Hudson:  Don't hurt him or his mama is going to be really mad at you.

me:  That's right, Hudson.  Garrett don't hurt him!

Garrett:  I got him!  Oh.... what is that mama?

me: Woops.  You broke off his tale when you grabbed him. 

Garrett: Let me get the tail too.

Hudson:  Garrett, why did you break off his tail?

 - little lizard tail is squirming in the tub all by itself.  I washed it down the drain.

me:  Hurry, get it outside!!!!!

Garrett: Mama, I think I made him dead.  He isn't moving.

me:  Well, you shouldn't have squeezed him when you picked him up.  (such a supportive mama, I am)

Hudson: Garrett, his mama is going to be so mad at you for making him dead.

**Baths were taken, pajamas put on and teeth brushed.  I checked out to see if the little lizard was still on the porch and he was gone.  He must have been frozen in fear when Garrett laid him down on the porch.

me:  Guys, the lizard wasn't dead.  He ran off.

Hudson: Ya, to go tell him mom about what Garrett did to him.  She is going to be so mad when she sees that he doesn't have a tail anymore.

Proof positive that I have adequately taught the boys that mamas of all species get upset when someone messes with their babies.  You should hear about mama wolves.  It's awesome!!!

No comments: