Saturday, March 27, 2010

why we walk

It wasn't until last year that we became involved with the March of Dimes.  I'm not sure why we weren't involved during my pregnancy with the twins. We just didn't  know about the organization and all that it does for premature babies.  The March of Dimes funds life saving research that had a direct impact on the lives of my children.  They also provide outreach programs for families with babies in the NICU.  I wish we had of known about all of this when we needed it.  I hope that, if nothing else, I can raise awareness for the work of the March of Dimes.  My boys are living proof that their work is making a difference the lives of children all over the world.
*
Hudson and Garrett were born 8 weeks early.  Both had respiratory distress and couldn't regulate their own body temperatures and suck from a bottle.  The first week of their lives was full of fear, sadness, joy and amazement.  We are so grateful that the medical resources needed to save the lives of my babies were ready when we needed it. 

Hudson and Garrett at two weeks old.

The twins came home 28 days after they were born, healthy.

The day they left the hospital.


My only wish during my pregnancy with Nolan was that he would be born full term and healthy.  I really thought that I was going to make it.  However, at 35 weeks, my body couldn't carry the pregnancy any longer.  Nolan was born breathing and doing well.  After 30 minutes, he was admitted to the NICU with respiratory distress due to his prematurity. 





Nolan on his way out of the NICU.

We feel very blessed that Nolan's stay in the NICU was only 6 days.  The NICU was so frightening the second time around.  Ignorance was bliss. 

Nolan at two weeks old.


I know that we are so fortunate to have three healthy little boys.  Many families aren't so lucky.  We walk to say "Thank You" to the March of Dimes and to show our support for families who are currently waiting for for their babies to come home.  We walk to show our respect to those families whose babies didn't come home.  We walk in hopes that "one day all babies will be born healthy".

February 2009







We are so excited to continue our support of the March of Dimes through the March for Babies.  We will be walking on May 8th and would love to have you join us.  If you would like to join our team we are Team Stevens Boys.  You can visit our site here.

No comments: