Wednesday, October 15, 2008

sharing

Every Wednesday, my mom takes the boys to Story Time at the library. They love it. They never tell me about the stories that are read but they are certainly enamoured with the librarian that reads them the books and the guinea pig, Barbara, that they get to feed. They have recently started to stay for the second session, that is really geared more for their age group. They don't seem to be as excited about it but they humor my mom.

Today, the second session was used to make a Halloween spider hat. There were limited supplies for all of the children. Mom said that she was shocked as she watched the parents jockey for scissors, glue and paper instead of the children. The children began to follow their leads and it was a bit chaotic. She was so happy that the boys just sat patiently and waited until supplies were freed up and they, finally, were able to make a spider hat. I was overcome with pride at hearing that my little men are patient, thoughtful people. This is not something that they have every had to work on.... it's always just them. They don't even have to share toys all that much. I found it very disturbing to think that all of those children, jockeying for supplies, will turn into kids that feel entitled to the best of everything as they get older. They will want instant results. It's all because they were following the lead of their parents. I know that I am a bit competitive when it comes to my children. I will most certainly pay more attention to that now. God bless my mom for noticing an opportunity to sit back and show the boys how to be patient and wait your turn. Grandparents have such a benefit in this parenting thing. Been there, seen the outcome..... 15 years down the road.

No comments: