Friday, September 2, 2011

team work

Such a pretty bird, don't you think.  This is how we found it in the driveway.


This morning was big for us in many ways.  Everyone was awake and ready to go to riding lessons with no meltdowns, no fighting and no rushing to get out the door.  Once we got there, Nolan began asking to ride a horse.  Garrett did his thing and has now learned the "jumping position"-  much to his delight.  Nolan continued to ask to ride and Hudson wanted to water and feed the horses.  Once Garrett was finished, Nolan indeed got to ride and was really good.  He told me not to hold on to him because Ms. Patty had already shown him how to ride.  Patty was impressed.  Hudson was given the job of "stable hand" once the lessons are over and he will now get to work while the others ride.  I think we just became horse people. 
We got home, had some lunch and then headed out back.  Hudson came over to me and said, "Mom there is a dead blue jay in the driveway and I almost ran over it with my motorcycle."  I thought it was a baby blue jay because we find dead baby bird all the time.  But there lay dead a full grown bird with no sigh of trauma at all.  I really didn't want to deal with it.  I called Mark to see what I should do and his instructions made me throw up in my mouth just a bit.  I told him that I was going to need Hudson's help and then hung up.  Turns out we all had to help.  I had the large shovel, Hudson had the garden trowel, Garrett had the plastic bag and Nolan kept the dog from coming near.  The bird was so light and stiff that I couldn't just scoop it up with the shovel.  Hudson had to use the garden trowel to scoop it on to my shovel and Garrett held the bag open so that I could put it in.  It wasn't that big of a deal but I just don't like this kind of stuff.  I think I may have changed my mind about having chickens.  I sure am glad, though, that I have boys.  They come in handy :)

No comments: