Monday, September 27, 2010

a little help, please

photo via flickr


I am struggling with my runs.  I keep hitting this wall at about mile 16 and that isn't very good considering i'll have 10 more to go on race day.  I don't feel like it's a wall that I just push through.  My bones hurt at mile 17 and at mile 18, I feel that I won't be able to make it home, even if i'm walking.  Those 8 mile morning are blissful, though.  I even feel great at 10.  But at 16, I want to just stop.  I'm sure that there are many factors contributing to this but I think I'm afraid that this body that evolved after children just isn't up for the challenge.  I've put a lot of emotional energy into running this marathon.  I've made a lot of sacrifices - maybe it's just sleep i'm sacrificing.  I just don't know what to do.  At what point do I change to the half and be okay with that?  At what point do I "push through" and finish?  And yes, it does sound funny to say that i'm hitting a wall at mile 16.  16 miles of straight running is pretty crazy.  18 miles of running is crazy.  Mark laughs at me when I say, "I only have 8 to do tomorrow morning".  I don't know that I want to do the marathon and yet i've trained for so long and am just about there.  Does anyone have any advice?  Does anyone know what this feeling is like?  Do I just need more sleep?

1 comment:

Kate and Geoff said...

gosh i wish i knew the first thing about running that far and could be helpful. i somehow missed that you were even training for a marathon. beyond impressive. and funnily enough, i was thinking today that even though i've never been a runner, maybe i should sign up for a half marathon race in like, a year, just to see if i could. and to help motivate me to actually be active.
my friends courtney and christy are runners. they might know.
http://cassadas.blogspot.com/
http://brianchristyandkallen.blogspot.com/
christy even has a link to her old triathalon blog on her regular blog.

whatever you decide, i'm impressed with you.