"As I see it, a wish begins with a desire - a desire for things to be somehow other than they are." Noelle Oxenhandler.
Noelle is the author of The Wishing Year. I just ordered the book so I can't give an overall opinion but after reading about the story line, I think I'll have trouble putting it down. Check out this post from Susan and you will see why this type of book is appealing to me at this stage in life. There are many changes on the horizon for our little family and I firmly believe that getting from "here to there" is more about focused actions than daydreams and fleeting wishes. My desires will only come to fruition when I take action to make them reality.
I started running alone again. It requires great effort on my part to do this. My life revolves around my family and that can mean that taking care of my needs takes a back seat to everything else. I needed to regain a small part of myself that I only find when I'm running regularly. It also means that my days start A LOT earlier than I would like. I can say, though, that running in the early hours of the morning has made such a difference to how present I am when I arrive home in the afternoons. I no longer feel rushed to get a run in before starting to prepare dinner. I have more time to hear about the kids' day and I feel more in control of my day.
I also started cooking again. Really cooking. Experimenting in the kitchen, if you will. The kids love it. They pretend to cook at the table while I'm at the sink. To see my kids excited about what is put on the table makes the work of preparing so worth it. For the last two evenings, Hudson has told me how great dinner was and thanked me, unprompted I should add, for making such a great dinner. Garrett has exclaimed that we were having a party and also told me that "we have a great family." I haven't held back tears at the dinner table in quite a while.
I've been sewing. Not the quilts. Oh, the quilts. I will confess now that I don't really like to make quilts. That project will most likely be finished well after my goal of July. Maybe by next July? I like to make pillows and ruffles on collars. I'm going to venture a shift dress for myself and some summer pajamas for the boys. I have nothing to sew for Mark. Any ideas? I've got a few ideas for Christmas gifts.
I've been gardening. I really love my garden. I also love that my kids like zucchini. We have a bumper crop this year and have been able to give away some to the neighbors. The banana peppers and okra are also on the verge of a bumper. Fried okra, here we come! The tomatoes are about to ripen and the jalapenos are just about ready to pick. The cucumber plants are taking over but not producing fruit yet so I'll just have to wait and see how those go. The herbs are divine. I'm thinking of adding another raised bed. Mark isn't convinced yet but I'm working on him.
Life is good. We are a happy little family. My wishes are coming true.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment