Lately, I feel as though I blink and my children are different people. Hudson and Garrett woke up, two weeks ago, as different people. They communicate differently, they hold themselves differently and they observe things differently. They are becoming more little boy and less toddler and it is scary and amazing all at the same time. I find that I am frustrated with "talking back" but also amazed that they are showing me exactly the way i've been talking to them. "Listen to me right now, mom" is one of Garrett's favorite phrases. "Don't talk to me like that, mom" is Hudson's. Hearing those phrases come out of their mouths does not make me happy. But, they are learning to express themselves in words and that makes me happy.
There is also a lot of good coming out of their mouths. Hudson says "I love you" all the time. Garrett is very respectful and always says,"thank you" and "please". They talk to each other - really talk. They talk about the moon when they see it in the sky and Garrett gets excited, every night, about the sunset. They talk to each other about the garden and the newly painted garage. Garrett talks about falling out of the Jeep and crying at summer camp/preschool. Hudson talks to Nolan about his toys and how he will teach him things when he gets older.
I have always had a mental image of how the boys would be at certain ages. As they approach their third birthday, i'm not sure that the images associated with this year are at all what we are experiencing. Mark and I are dealing with behaviors that we thought wouldn't surface until they were much older. We are also still dealing with little boys that need the same cuddling and one on one time that they needed when they were one. They still like to touch our faces and examine our lips when we talk. They still like us to sit on the couch and have one on either side while watching TV. I pray that they always want us to hug and kiss them before bed, too. This third year seems like it will be harder for us than the second. It also seems like it will be one the we learn the most from them. They find wonder in everything and can talk about it. They make me so crazy that I want to lock myself in my room sometimes and other times I feel that I love them so much that my heart might explode. They make me laugh. They have shown me that I am stronger than I thought I was. They are the best things that have ever happened to me.

No comments:
Post a Comment