Tuesday, December 21, 2010

normal life

The twins started arguing with each other, on various issues, about three months ago.  Yes, before that, life was blissfully quarrel free.  Now, they argue about normal stuff but sometimes we find them arguing about things that make us scratch our heads.

Example one:
The other day they were playing outside peacefully when, all of a sudden, Hudson started screaming.  I went out and Garrett was running towards the door.  Hudson was freaking out.  Garrett looked at me and said, "Mom, life IS fair, right?"  Hudson screams, "NO!  Life ISN'T fair."   They both stood in front of me, out of breath, waiting for me to deem one of them the winner. 

Example two:
Mark was explaining how they weren't going to get to watch TV one evening because they had misbehaved throughout the day.  He and Hudson were talking about it when Garrett came in the room.  Hudson started to tell Garrett that they weren't getting to watch TV.  For some reason they were arguing about it right there with Mark.  Mark tried to explain that there were consequences to actions.. yadi yadi yada.  I'm sure what they heard was very close to how Charlie Brown's teacher talks - wawa wawa wawa.  The twins continued to argue - not including Mark in the discussion.
Garrett - What do you mean we can't watch TV
Hudson - Dad said we can't
Garrett - That doesn't make sense!
Hudson - Yes, it does

Garrett yells "It doesn't make sense because I want to watch TV - that's it!"  Gotta love the logic. 

Example three:
Toy Story is a big hit in our house.  The twins like to quote the movie on a regular basis. 

The other evening, I was having a tough time controlling the energy level due to Christmas Craziness so I decided to let them go for a run.  I put Nolan in the jogging stroller, laced up their shoes and out the door we went.  I let them run all by themselves for about 1/2 a mile.  Towards the end of the run, they started arguing about who was running faster. 
*both are running and a bit out of breath
Hudson - Garrett, slow down
Garrett - I've got too much energy to slow down
Hudson - GARRETT!!!!
*They switch and Hudson goes in front.
Garrett - Hudson, you are running too fast
Hudson - You aren't a good listener.  Mom said to stay by the stroller.
Garrett - "A good soldier never leaves a man behind."  He was so serious and red faced and out of breath from running.   I cracked up.