Nolan Thomas was born on 12/12 weighing 5 pounds 13 ounces. He came very quickly! I went from 5 centimeters dialated to complete and ready to push within 30 minutes. Once I started pushing, he was out in about 5 minutes. He cried and was doing great for about 15 minutes but then we realized that he was grunting a bit too much and needed to go to the NICU.
Nolan was put on cpap and did really well. He was jaudiced, as most premies are, and took some time to increase his feeds but all in all, he just needed a couple more days in utero and he wouldn't have needed to go to the NICU at all.
This was his last day in the hospital. He was discharged before I was! More on that later.
It was so nice to be home and have him home, healthy. He loves the Moses basket that nana bought for him. It is beautiful. He sleeps so cozy in it.
I went in for my normal ob visit on Thursday 12/11 and my blood pressure was very elevated. They made me stay in the office for a long time but in the end let me go home as long as I promised to do NOTHING. My doctor told me to anticipate a c-section on Monday. I went home and relaxed that evening but didn't feel quite right. Mark was supposed to head to Dallas for his best friends wedding on Friday morning. He was to be the best man. We all got up on Friday morning and my mom came over to help out. I still didn't feel right but thought that it was just my blood pressure. Mark left for Dallas but we are all very nervous. An hour after he left I thought that maybe he shouldn't have left. I called my doctor to explain my symptoms and was told to get to the hospital immediatly. I called Mark and he turned around, mom loaded the boys up and off we went.
I got to the hospital and we got settled into a room. Mark arrived about an hour later and then mom took the boys home. I got my epidural immediately because the doctor felt that it would help bring my blood pressure down. 15 minutes after getting the epidural, my blood pressure crashed - 90/50 and Nolan's heart rate went to 50. It was very scary and there were a lot of nurses racing around. The doctor talked about doing a c-section so that there wouldn't be any more drama but decided to wait once Nolan stabalized. The nurse checked me and I was 5 centimeters and we were just going to wait a bit. I felt very strange starting right after the blood pressure crash. I couldn't put my finger on the problem but kept telling Mark that I just felt awful. I couldn't get comfortable but thought that it was because the epidural was working so well or because my blood pressure was still elevated. 20 minutes later Nolan's heart dropped to 80 then raced to 190. The doctor came running in and said that she wasn't waiting any longer, we would do the c-section. She wanted to check me one more time to see where I was, just in case. She started laughing and said that she knew exactly why I was uncomfortable; Nolan's head was coming out. 30 minutes from 5 centimeters to complete. Then there was a mad scramble to get my feet in the stirups and get everything in place. I pushed for 5 minutes and out he came. He came out crying and doing really well. I was elated and exhausted. Mark was a bit in shock.
Nolan went to the NICU after about 30 minutes and my blood pressure didn't change. They put me on magnesium and thus began the drama. I couldn't get out of bed for 24 hours which meant that I couldn't go visit Nolan. This was a bit source of stress to begin with. After the 24 hours, we went to post partum and my blood pressure was still pretty high but I would lay on my left side just before the nurses would take a reading so that it would go down. They made me stay in post partum for 2 days. I got to visit Nolan and ultimately convinced them to let me go home. On the way home, I knew that something was wrong. My vision was blurred and I felt horrible. We ate dinner and I took a shower and then I told Mark what was going on. He rushed me back to the hospital, boys in tow. It was late at night and there was a lot going on. I was seen immediately because my blood pressure was so high. They readmitted me and sent me back to Labor and Delivery. This was a very rare event considering no one had ever been sent to L&D that wasn't pregnant. I stayed on magnesium for 2 whole days and was seen by several doctors and was given a lot of different medications. In the end I said enough and requested that my doctor come see me and that something be done. Nolan was being released to Mark and would have to stay in the room with me since I was breast feeding. I was stressed out completely. An internal medicine specialist was called in and they found the right medication for me. I was sent home a week after I had delivered but I had my baby.
The last month and a half has been spent figuring out how to deal with my blood pressure and how to be a mom to three little boys. I have reassured that my blood pressure will go back to normal once my body stops thinking that i'm pregnant. I have also been reassured that life will be utterly crazy for hte next 20 years since I have boys.
I am blissfully happy despite it all. It has been a long time since I have felt utterly content and euphoric with life. I have an amazing husband that helps me be the best mom I can be. I have a wonderful mother who stepped up and took charge of my kids when I needed her most. I have a precious baby boy that completes our family. I have two little men that are making me laugh and cry every day. Thank goodness it's mostly laughter.
No comments:
Post a Comment